Frequently Asked Questions
What are we doing to prepare for COVID-19?
Contingency Plans: As always, safety is our number one concern! The situation is changing very fast so we are preparing for a range of situations.
- Having campers wash their hands several times per day.
- Reminding campers not to touch their faces.
- Using hand sanitizer.
- Sanitizing the LEGO parts and computers weekly/daily/several times per day.
- Asking parents taking temperatures.
- Asking campers with symptoms to stay home.
- We will continue to add to and update this list as we learn more.
If the authorities encourage us to cancel gatherings of even groups our size or for people to self quarantine it seems that the need for enriching activities may actually go up.
We are planning the following:
- Remote courses.
- Curbside pick of cleaned kits, parts and computers
- Home delivery of cleaned kits, parts and computers
- Skype, discord, or twitch sessions throughout the week.*
- Parent assisted/supervised registration and sign-on for online activities.
- Curated online resources.
- Revised challenges and lessons more compatible with remote courses.
Planet Rock accommodations:
- If possible we could still meet in the afternoons on Tuesday and Thursdays at Planet Rock. It may be sufficient to wash hands after each climb and remain several feet apart.
We will continue to investigate safe and creative ways to continue to provide the best possible summer experience for our campers and their families.
* This year we had already partnered with The Gamer Society for the Video game course. We have asked for their help in developing and providing online experiences.
Do you offer a Guarantee/Refund Policy?
Guarantee/Refund Policy: Our goal is to meet or exceed your expectations. Tell us if we fall short in any way. If we can't fix it on the spot, we will refund you for the remainder of the session. Sometimes things just come up. If that happens we will also give you a refund. See explanations and exceptions below.
The reasoning for the original policy and the changes due to COVID-19: The policy above had developed over some time to serve two purposes:
1) To demonstrate our commitment to solving problems and continuous improvement and
2) To take on the risk for families. Afterall we were asking people to commit to us far in advance of summer. If one or two families have to schedule an urgent trip to visit a sick relative it just seemed descent to give them a refund.
With the developments around COVID-19 it seemed clear that we may have major disruption to multiple weeks of camp. It also became clear that families may need and want our services even more if their children are stuck at home not able to play with their friends. Rather than close up shop and take the losses we are planning to do everything that we can to have a camp, in one form or another, this summer. (See details are above.)
This commitment will take time, effort and money. For example:
In a typical summer course, campers never all need the exact same piece at the exact same time so kits that are 95+% complete are more than adequate (borrow the yellow rubber band from a group that is not using it). That will not do if we deliver the kits to homes.
We will have to clean, re-sort and deliver all of the equipment every weekend.
We may need as much as double the equipment.
We need to create an online curriculum for multiple courses for multiple ages.
We may not be able to get refunds for some services and reservations.
If all of our efforts fail and something prevents us from even delivering equipment and doing courses online we are asking our families to split the risk with us and accept a 50% refund.
Our Guarantee: Our goal is to meet or exceed your expectations. Tell us if we fall short in any way. If we can't fix it on the spot, we will refund you for the remainder of the session.
Do You Offer Payment Plans?
Yes! On a case by case basis - please contact us so we can work out the details.
Where is Rocks and Robots located?
We moved. For many year we have had a location at Honey Creek Community School. This year they are under construction. We are just down the street at Knox Presbyterian church.
Knox Presbyterian Church
2065 S Wagner Rd, Ann Arbor, MI 48103
Please see map here.
Do many girls attend camp?
Yes! Every year, we are happy to see and welcome more and more female campers! If you want to find out how many girls have signed up for a particular session, send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
What are the class sizes?
Class sizes range from 10-24 campers. Kids are typically partnered up to share a robot, a kit of LEGO pieces, and a computer for programming
What is the staff to camper ratio?
This varies depending on class size, but we usually have one staff member for every 3-4 pairs of campers.
Do you offer discounts?
Yes, we offer discounts on camp sessions throughout the year. To get the most up to date information, please sign up for our newsletter and follow us on Facebook.
Do you offer scholarships?
We want to bring Robotics and Engineering to all children, regardless of a family's financial situation. Scholarships are offered on a case by case basis. Contact us as early as possible and we will do our best to find an option for you and your child.
Please note that because of our costs for materials, staff, bus transport, and space rental, our budget for scholarships is limited at this time.
My child has special health/social/learning needs. Can you ensure that they will have a great camp experience?
Absolutely! For more than 15 years, Rocks and Robots has embraced campers with various learning styles, social habits, and health situations.
In these cases, we like to communicate with each parent before camp to create a plan that will ensure that your child has an optimal camp experience.
What does my child need to bring to camp?
We ask that campers bring a water bottle and sunscreen as we'll be spending time outside in the sun. Campers also need to bring their own (peanut-free) lunch.
We will provide snacks, typically pretzels and apples, but campers are welcome to bring additional snacks.
What's the bathroom situation at camp?
Kids have access to a single stall non-gender specific bathroom.
Do you do special events?
Yes! Rocks and Robots is equipped to create an unforgettable birthday experience for your child and their friends. We also attend school events.
Please contact us for rates and details.